Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

9.7.07

Brown Lacewing

Brown lacewing pest control
As the sun was setting one day I went out into the garden looking to photograph bugs. And like is common for me I got down on the ground and close up to the foliage and waited to see what moved or landed. Moments later this rather boring looking bug landed on some foliage and I decided to snap a photograph of it.

Recently while clearing out my hard drive I came across the photo and was pleasantly surprised by the effect of the setting sun on it's wings. To me it looks like the sun streaming in through a stained glass window and aside from this "aint it cool" effect I didn't think much of this bug that I've seen a lot around Chicago.

That all changed today when I learned that this brown lacewing bug is actually very beneficial in the garden. I don't know if it helps with pollinating flowers but I've learned that in the larvae stage and even as adults they are voracious eaters of aphids and mites. Like ladybugs they are a biological control of pests that we should encourage instead of using insecticides.

One really cool (to me at least) factoid about this bug it is that it's also known as "trash bug" because Green Lacewing larvae cover themselves in debris and insect carcases as seen in this photo. I'm guessing this is a method of camouflage that helps the larvae avoid becoming a meal .

7 comments:

  1. Hey Mrbrownthumb,
    I just keep getting amazed with your photos. Nice to see friendly bugs in your garden, I hope some will come my way soon!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have better luck with wildlife than I. I recently discovered snails in my containers - on a balcony 8 meters above ground. I need to take a day off hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MrBrownThumb - thank you for visiting my blog earlier. I just did a quick scroll through yours and totally liked what I saw! Your photos are great, and the posts are interesting - I'll be back! I see the brown lacewings in my gardens in Minneapolis too - nice to know they do so much good. I love the light shining through the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally tied a copy of Mac's "Good Bugs, Bad Bugs," a little laminated guide I found at the bookstore, to my garden cart. Who knew some of the scariest looking bugs are so useful?

    --Robin (Bumblebee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all thanks for stopping by. I hope you all get more beneficial bugs in your gardens next year.

    Robin thanks for the suggestion I'll have to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally dig your bug posts and pictures, mrbrownthumb. I'm glad that you're continuing to post them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Blackswamp_girl,

    Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you're enjoying them. I know I'm having fun taking them and hunting down information.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.