Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

10.7.07

Climbing Lily Flower

Gloriosa superba 'Rothschildiana' Climbing Lily
This is my second year growing these plants and two of them have just started to bloom in the container garden. Last year I planted one of the tubers in the ground and cut it when I was going to pull it up at the end of summer, I decided to plant them in containers this year to minimize the chance of damaging them when I lift them.



One of the common names for this plant is 'Climbing Lily' because the leaves have tendrils at the end that helps it attach itself for support as it grows. Like Morning Glories these tendrils will attach themselves to anything so make sure to stake them or grow them against something for support because the stems are weak.

These exotic flowers can also double as a houseplant if grown in bright light but will look a little ugly when the tubers go into dormancy. But care should be taken if growing this plant indoor or outdoors because all plants are toxic and even handling the tubers can cause your skin to get irritated.

If you want to see the tubers you can see my previous entry on this plant titled:

Gloriosa superba 'Rothschildiana'

12 comments:

  1. Now that is an interesting plant. I hadn't a clue that there were climbing lilies. The flower is a striking one. I think I'd like to try growing this ... thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to grow one but not one room has the amount of light it would need. I'll have to just keep bloghopping over to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:38 AM

    It's always means "it is".

    The possessive of the word is "its".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love that photo! Great looking flower, pitty it's not edible ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Hi MBT!

    I love the Rothschild lilies, and mine are just starting to open.

    This year they are at least one foot taller than 2006, which means I have to look up at them instead of directly at them. They are clinging to a tree fuchsia, so there is a nice contrast of color between the two flowers -- not that I consciously planned it that way.

    Thanks for mentioning your blog on Hot Topics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I love checking in on your site for the eye candy (pictures) and to read about how your garden is doing. It sounds like you're having a great time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning looking lily....he colors are very vibrant. Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo. Have always loved these. When tour Australia several years back saw some of these in gardens with up to 100 flowers in each clump. Amazing. One day when I get a greenhouse again I'll try them out.

    Always enjoy your blog and your beautiful photography.
    BOB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Ruth, I don't have enough light indoors to keep it happy so I only grow it outdoors in the spring/summer and then pull them in winter and store them with my other plants. You should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so tempted to try; I'll keep my eyes open for one at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Were can I buy this beautiful plant? I would really love one! can you grow them in Texas??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brittany,

    Believe it or not I bought mine at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Don't know if they have Flower & Garden Shows near you but they had it for sale at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show this year.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.